Links and Resources

Open Arms Patient Advocacy Society is pleased to provide patients with a list of related organizations that may assist in bringing clarity to a medical situation. There are numerous agencies that can aid a patient in gaining knowledge and receiving support. Taking full advantage of these free agencies can be vital to the health of a patient. These organizations specialize in medical problems and can direct a patient to the proper support and treatment.

Important Health Care Agencies

Alberta Health Services
Alberta Health Services is the primary government organization responsible for the management of the Alberta health system. All issues relating to the health care system can be directed to this agency.
Contact Alberta Health Services by phone at: 310-0000
To learn more please visit Alberta Health Services.

College of Physicians and Surgeons
The College of Physicians and Surgeons is the primary agency that governs all Physicians and Surgeons. Every doctor must be licensed by this agency and they are responsible for reprimand and patient concerns involving a specific doctor.
To learn more about this agency or to place a complaint visit College of Physicians and Surgeons or call 1-800-661-4689

Office of Health Advocates
1. Office of Seniors Advocates – Provides advocates to assist seniors in all issues concerning their wellbeing.
2. Alberta Mental Health Patient Advocate Office – Provides advocates for patients with mental health concerns.
3. Health Advocate – Promotes self-advocacy and supports Albertans in dealing with their concerns about health services.

To learn more concerning these agencies visit Alberta Health Advocates or call 1-780-422-1812

The Alberta Ombudsman responds to complaints concerning provincial government authorities and designated professional organizations.
Learn more by visiting Alberta Ombudsman.

Health Facilities Review Committee
The Health Facilities Review Committee Act was proclaimed in 1978. The Health Facilities Review Committee (HFRC) has two main roles:
1. To routinely review health care facilities and observe the manner in which they are operated; and
2. To receive and investigate complaints about the care, treatment and standards of accommodation received by specific patients or residents in hospitals or nursing homes.

Through its work, the HFRC strives to improve the quality of life for patients and residents.  Learn more by visiting Alberta Health.

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
To learn more about this agency or to place a complaint visit Alberta’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

College and Association of Registered  Nurses of Alberta (CARNA)
To learn more about this agency or to place a complaint visit College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA) or call 1-800-252-9392

Protection of Persons in Care
A safe and secure environment, where people are free from abuse and neglect, is necessary for well-being and quality of life. Protection for Persons in Care promotes prevention and responds to reports of abuse of adult Albertans receiving care or support services from publicly funded service providers. These include: hospitals, seniors’ lodges, nursing homes, mental health facilities, shelters, group homes, addictions treatment centres, many settings funded by the Persons with Developmental Disabilities program, and other supportive living settings.

To report abuse, or if you have concerns about the safety and security of a vulnerable adult, call 1-888-357-9339.

To learn more please visit Protection for Persons in Care.

Canadian Mental Health Association
The Canadian Mental Health Association manages all aspects relating the mental health of all Canadian citizens.
To learn more visit Canadian Mental Health Association.

Child abuse Information
There are province-wide, regional and local Child Protective Services in Alberta, found in cities and communities.  Use 310-0000 to get the local office number or the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-387-5437 to speak with a case worker.